Ben Stokes and Gus Atkinson nightclub controversy: ECB delivers final verdict | Cricket News


Ben Stokes and Gus Atkinson nightclub controversy: ECB delivers final verdict
England’s Gus Atkinson and Ben Stokes (AP Photo)

England captain Ben Stokes and fast bowler Gus Atkinson have been cleared of any wrongdoing following an investigation into a nightclub incident that occurred after their team’s victory over New Zealand earlier this month. The pair had already been handed written warnings by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) for breaching a team curfew and were omitted from the second Test against New Zealand. However, both players are expected to return for the series-deciding third Test, which begins on Thursday at Trent Bridge in Nottingham. On Monday, the independent Cricket Regulator confirmed that no disciplinary action would be taken against either player after completing its review of the matter. The controversy stemmed from events following England’s win in the opening Test, when Stokes and Atkinson stayed out beyond the team’s midnight curfew and visited a London nightclub. During the same evening, a team security official was reportedly struck by a rugby player from Premiership club Saracens. The Cricket Regulator launched an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident and said it examined a range of evidence before reaching its conclusion. “Having carefully reviewed all currently available information, the Cricket Regulator has determined that there is insufficient evidence to establish that any regulatory breach occurred,” the body said in a statement. According to the regulator, investigators pursued “multiple lines of inquiry to gather and assess evidence” before deciding that the case did not warrant further action. The episode reignited debate around the culture within the England men’s setup, particularly after criticism that followed the team’s unsuccessful Ashes tour of Australia, where reports of excessive drinking and unprofessional behaviour had attracted widespread attention. While the off-field issue has now been resolved, attention will quickly shift back to cricket. England and New Zealand head into the third and final Test with the series level at 1-1, setting up a decisive showdown at Trent Bridge.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    PV Sindhu, Ayush Shetty among Indians in action; full schedule

    Former world champion PV Sindhu and Asian Games gold medallists Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty will lead India’s challenge at the 2026 BWF World Championships, which begin at the Indira…

    KL Rahul reveals Devdutt Padikkal’s quiet grind behind breakthrough ton

    India’s Devdutt Padikkal and KL Rahul (ANI Photo) Devdutt Padikkal’s long wait for a breakthrough in Test cricket has finally turned into a statement innings, and KL Rahul believes the…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    NMC proposes central tracking of doctors’ disciplinary records

    NMC proposes central tracking of doctors’ disciplinary records

    PV Sindhu, Ayush Shetty among Indians in action; full schedule

    PV Sindhu, Ayush Shetty among Indians in action; full schedule

    KL Rahul reveals Devdutt Padikkal’s quiet grind behind breakthrough ton

    KL Rahul reveals Devdutt Padikkal’s quiet grind behind breakthrough ton

    Delhi Police probes complaint against Sonia Gandhi, Rahul

    Delhi Police probes complaint against Sonia Gandhi, Rahul

    BWF World Championships 2026 Live Updates Day 1: PV Sindhu, Ayush Shetty lead India’s opening-day charge

    BWF World Championships 2026 Live Updates Day 1: PV Sindhu, Ayush Shetty lead India’s opening-day charge

    India 460/9 in 116.0 Overs

    India 460/9 in 116.0 Overs