Pahalgam’s primary defence against tragedy still runs from five rooms | India News


Pahalgam’s primary defence against tragedy still runs from five rooms

PAHALGAM: Routine care at a quiet medical outpost evaporated with a single phone call on April 22 last year. By dusk, the floor was slick with blood. Staff had processed 26 bodies and 17 wounded survivors. The one-storey facility was the thin line between life and death following the terrorist attack in Baisaran valley near Pahalgam.One year later, the line remains dangerously thin.Little has moved at Pahalgam civil hospital. Medical care still functions within five cramped rooms. Doctors consult outpatients while paramedics squeeze X-rays and ECGs into the same narrow footprint. Outside, three ambulances — an increase of exactly one vehicle since the massacre — sit on a patchy lawn. When rain falls, the ground turns to muck, choking the path to the entrance.The tragedy forced a grim improvisation. As reinforcements arrived from across south Kashmir, staff dragged beds into a hollow, unfinished three-storey building next door. They used the shell of a hall to stack the dead. Today, that building remains a concrete skeleton, stalled by bureaucratic gridlock while the primary clinic struggles to breathe.The facility’s limitations defy the scale of its responsibility. Pahalgam is no sleepy village. It is a global destination and a spiritual gateway. In 2024, Pahalgam hosted 11.9 lakh tourists and more than 5 lakh Amarnath pilgrims — many requiring treatment for high-altitude ailments. The hospital also serves 2 lakh residents of the area.A 2021 plan to upgrade the site to a 50-bed sub-district hospital exists only on paper. Sanctioned staff positions remain empty. The skeleton crew — one surgeon, one anaesthetist, one gynaecologist, and seven paramedics — routinely refers the critically ill to Govt Medical College in Anantnag, miles away.The delay is a game of finger-pointing. Health officials blame roads and buildings (R&B) department for the crawl of construction. R&B officials claim they are being starved of roughly Rs 4.3 crore. “We have added another storey,” an R&B official said. “Construction of a lift and interior work are pending. If health department releases funds, we can make the building operational within six months.”As another tourist season peaks and Amarnath Yatra looms, Pahalgam’s primary defence against tragedy remains five rooms and a promise. The hall that once held 26 bodies remains empty, waiting for the paint and power that never arrived. For now, the urgency of that April evening has been replaced by the slow rot of neglect.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    ‘Will review travel advisory’: US envoy Gor visits Srinagar, says J&K ‘important part of India’ | India News

    US Ambassador Sergio Gor visits Srinagar with J&K CM Omar NEW DELHI: US Ambassador to India Sergio Gor met Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Omar Abdullah in Srinagar on Wednesday,…

    ‘There’s a problem at the border’: Rijiju admits delineation issue in Arunachal, rejects China incursion claim | India News

    Rijiju explained that the lack of demarcation has led to Chinese claims over certain stretches of land NEW DELHI: Union minister Kiren Rijiju on Wednesday rejected reports that China has…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Arrest warrant against TMC MP Mahua Moitra in hate speech case | India News

    Arrest warrant against TMC MP Mahua Moitra in hate speech case | India News

    ‘Will review travel advisory’: US envoy Gor visits Srinagar, says J&K ‘important part of India’ | India News

    ‘Will review travel advisory’: US envoy Gor visits Srinagar, says J&K ‘important part of India’ | India News

    ‘Every Test match victory is special’: India’s vice-captain KL Rahul after 165-run victory in Galle Test | Cricket News

    ‘Every Test match victory is special’: India’s vice-captain KL Rahul after 165-run victory in Galle Test | Cricket News

    ICC Test rankings: Harry Brook reclaims No.1 as Jasprit Bumrah retains top spot | Cricket News

    ICC Test rankings: Harry Brook reclaims No.1 as Jasprit Bumrah retains top spot | Cricket News

    Rahul Gandhi Chhatron Ki Goonj: Congress may move court if Pune curfew blocks Rahul Gandhi’s ‘Chhatron ki Goonj’ event | India News

    Rahul Gandhi Chhatron Ki Goonj: Congress may move court if Pune curfew blocks Rahul Gandhi’s ‘Chhatron ki Goonj’ event | India News

    ‘There’s a problem at the border’: Rijiju admits delineation issue in Arunachal, rejects China incursion claim | India News

    ‘There’s a problem at the border’: Rijiju admits delineation issue in Arunachal, rejects China incursion claim | India News