Opposition files new notice seeking CEC Gyanesh Kumar’s ouster | India News


Opposition files new notice seeking CEC Gyanesh Kumar's ouster

NEW DELHI: Opposition MPs in Rajya Sabha on Friday submitted to the secretary general a fresh notice seeking to move a motion to remove Gyanesh Kumar as chief election commissioner on the ground of “proven misbehaviour”.Earlier this month, notices submitted by opposition MPs in both LS and RS were rejected by the speaker and the chairman, respectively. In its fresh notice, opposition has levelled nine new charges against Kumar.According to Congress spokesperson Jairam Ramesh, a motion has been sought “on the ground of proven misbehaviour” — one of the instances being the “Straight Talk” social media post by EC after a meeting with a TMC delegation on April 8. The meeting had ended on an acrimonious note, with TMC leaders saying the CEC asked them to “get lost”, and EC accusing them of shouting.“There are now nine specific charges against the CEC that have been documented in great detail and that simply cannot be denied or whitewashed away. His continuation is an assault on the Constitution. It is an absolute disgrace that the man continues to be in office to do the bidding of PM and HM,” Ramesh said.The motion has been signed by MPs from Congress, TMC, DMK, SP, RJD, CPI, CPM, NCP(SP), Shiv Sena (UBT), JMM, IUML, NC and AAP.As part of the fresh charges, opposition has accused Kumar of “continued partisan asymmetry in enforcement of model code of conduct”, wherein it is alleged that EC failed to act on complaints against PM Narendra Modi’s address to the nation on April 18 on the defeated Constitution amendment bill related to women’s reservation amid assembly polls. CEC “has issued no show-cause notice, no advisory, and no public response” to any of the complaints made regarding this, it said. Other charges include “administrative lapses evidencing institutional proximity to the governing party” and “conduct unbecoming of a constitutional functionary”. The list of charges also includes mass disenfranchisement in West Bengal involving deletion of around 91 lakh voters and judicial exclusion of around 34 lakh voters from the franchise.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Anti-reservation protests: Chirag Paswan says govt will engage if demands presented systematically | India News

    Chirag Paswan hinted that govt may engage while protesters are seeking income-based quotas instead of caste-based reservation NEW DELHI: Union minister Chirag Paswan has said the government is willing to…

    National Space Day: PM Modi hails India’s space journey, salutes Chandrayaan-3 success | India News

    Video shared by PM Modi on X. NEW DELHI: PM Modi on Sunday greeted the nation on National Space Day, calling for bigger dreams, greater innovation and the pursuit of…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Back-to-back fours, then out! Vaibhav Sooryavanshi falls cheaply in Duleep Trophy – Watch | Cricket News

    Back-to-back fours, then out! Vaibhav Sooryavanshi falls cheaply in Duleep Trophy – Watch | Cricket News

    Justice Karol who computed notional income of housewives retires | India News

    Justice Karol who computed notional income of housewives retires | India News

    Anti-reservation protests: Chirag Paswan says govt will engage if demands presented systematically | India News

    Anti-reservation protests: Chirag Paswan says govt will engage if demands presented systematically | India News

    ‘I fought cancer to see my son play for India’: Saransh Jain’s long road to Test cricket | Cricket News

    ‘I fought cancer to see my son play for India’: Saransh Jain’s long road to Test cricket | Cricket News

    Ravindra Jadeja creates history in Colombo, becomes first Indian to achieve this feat | Cricket News

    Ravindra Jadeja creates history in Colombo, becomes first Indian to achieve this feat | Cricket News

    No permission for protest against UGC regulations, reservation system: Delhi Police | India News

    No permission for protest against UGC regulations, reservation system: Delhi Police | India News